Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Lot of Baker's Twine and Flourishes


First up, the baker's twine card. Is it wrong that having a billion yards of this stuff makes me happy? I wonder if I'll be eighty years old and still wrapping packages with this same bolt.


This card is inspired by the fun baker's twine card featured at CASE Study challenge by Angeline Yong, and this card by Christina MacLaren which looked so much like an ikat pattern.


So I wondered what would happen if the whole card base was wrapped with baker's twine. Luckily I thought of this just before our weekend trip to my mom's house which means I have an hour in the car all to myself. It didn't take as long as I thought. Although, next time I'll adhere a stronger layer of chipboard behind the front panel to keep it from warping more. The wrapping process goes a lot faster when you don't have to worry about not wrapping to tightly.


The sentiment is cut out (again with my favorite Bebas Neue font) on a belly band and wrapped around the twine so there's no need to adhere it. Originally I had the "Merry Christmas" band pictured above, but it was so long that it didn't leave room for additional embellishments. 


Here it is ... didn't like it as much.

   

 The next card is inspired by The Play Date Cafe challenge to use black, white, and a "splash" of maroon.


I've been really loving the chalkboard trend these days, and while this card isn't chalky I've still used the embossed white on black concept. I thought about leaving it as-is, but my curiosity was too great and I colored in the banner ...


I think I like it better. Super simple card (just one stamp) but man did it take a long time to clean up the stray embossing powder. I don't have an embossing buddy, so I made my own with cornstarch (tip by Betsy Veldman), but there were still lots of strays. Instead of using my fingers to get rid of them I used a stiff paint brush and that works SO much better.

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Supplies used on Merry Xmas: 
other:  baker's twine, Martha Stewart reindeer punch, Silhouette with Bebas Neue font

Supplies used on Flourish Christmas Tree: 
stamps:  Inkadinkado Holiday Cheer
other: Spectrum Noir alcohol markers, white embossing powder

22 comments:

  1. Kelly, both are fantastic! Do you have any twine left? Hee hee I see your Cameo was put to good use. Love your embossed tree! Used dryer sheets work just as well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that is a lot of twine, did it take long! The effect is super though and what a fun idea! Now about this chalkboard card...GORGEOUS! What a great image that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of twine wrapping! Looks cool with your die cut sentiment. I love that white embossing on black, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--they are both wonderful. I can't imagine parting with that much twine in one fell swoop. I am impressed. Your white embossed Christmas tree is lovely, and it is amazing what a difference coloring just that banner made. I didn't catch the banner the first time I looked at the all white card. Great job today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cards, Kelly! That one where you wrapped it all in baker's twine is my favourite though-- what a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kelly! These are fantastic. That twine makes the card look cozy - like a sweater - great texture. And that classic vintage looking tree looks amazing on the black!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, that IS a lot of twine! But what a fantastic card!
    Really love it!
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kelly, so many awesome cards in jsut one post. As I love twine ( also on cards but also just to have it and store it and too look pretty in my room) I defintly love your christmas card with a lot of twine :o)
    Have a fanatstic day
    Tascha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of your cards are STUNNING girl~I can't believe you wrapped all that twine....LOL. But, it was worth it and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Love that you covered the entire card with the twine. Loving your cut band too! Oh the second one is so elegant and I think I love the bit of red on the banner looks gorgeous! Beautiful tree stamp , first time I have seen this one. Hope you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Words cannot describe how cool your first card is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowza! Amazing cards!! The twine on that first one, oh my! I feel so stingy with my twine just looking at it! Someone better frame it and keep it forever! :) And that black card is SO striking, just knocked me over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous cards, and I love that you colored the banner! It looks amazing! Gives it a nice little pop! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kelly!

    Thank you for sharing these two amazing cards.
    They're very different in style but equally gorgeous.
    I use the same technique to remove the stray powder ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such BEAUTIFUL CARDS!! =) Love your take on the challenges!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the white tree on the black! Thanks for playing at the PDCC!

    ReplyDelete
  17. FAB, FAB cards Kelly - CONGRATS on your CASE Study win too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My heart almost had an attack seeing all that twine for JUST One card! i am a scrooge! but wow, look at the effect! congrats on your well deserved win!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoop whoop! Big congrats on your win at CASE Study! That is some serious twine! LOL! The second card is a stunner and nice job keeping it so crisp and clean! Must check out the cornstarch idea...

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! This is beautiful!!!!! LOVE all that twine!!!!!! It's absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing this with us at CASE Study Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love both of the bands! But that twine o_O I'm too much of a hoarder to use all that twine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As the DT Coordinator for The Twinery, it's NEVER too much baker's twine!!! Great card for the first challenge and I adore your 'splash' card! So great to have you with us again in The Cafe!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly