Friday, August 30, 2013

CAS-ual Fridays #113 - Krafty Text



I channeled my inner Donna Mikasa for the latest CAS-ual Fridays Challenge to use type and kraft paper, and went for neon on kraft. I've been dying to try it, she always makes it look so. darn. good.


For the background I was also excited to emboss with the spray mist templates. I still can't get over how fun this is! I would seriously buy this design as an embossing folder. I like how it gives more energy for the "screaming and shouting" but still keeps the card kinda clean (I know I am not always the best at being on the clean side of CAS).

Fonts are Ariel and Impact, cut on the Silhouette. Ampersand is from PTI Block die set.

(side note, lest you think "well that's not a very involved card, she just typed it and cut it out" let me tell you that was not the case! Wrestling with an old cutting mat which needs washi tape to sufficiently hold the paper down, which needs MANY pieces of tape, a dull cutting blade, an even duller back-up blade, figuring out that's what was wrong with my machine, going to M's for a new blade, and starting all over again definitely took the better part of the afternoon and evening.)

Please go check out the others in the CAS-ual Fridays gallery, and say a fond farewell to Pamela and AJ who are leaving this term. It was wonderful to work with both of you talented ladies!! The winner will receive a wonderful prize from our sponsor CAS-ual Fridays Stamps!

------------

Since I made a double set of the Will.i.am and Britney Spears song lyrics in case of any mistakes (does anyone else do that?) I thought it was the perfect opportunity to finally play in a challenge again. This may be the first challenge I've done all summer!


How can you pass this ombre beauty up at Moxie Fab's Tuesday Trigger?


This one's a little more clean. I started with a white base, but after putting the letters on charcoal and seeing how they popped so much more, I changed directions. The grey and white stripe on the side is directly from Maria's wonderfully CAS glittery peace card.

A note of caution for those who haven't made a card featuring song lyrics before, make sure to pick a song you really love. You really can't piece the text on to your card without the song going through your head on an endless loop. Double caution if the card takes way longer than expected. And guess what? You also sing it while writing your blog post!

Thanks so much for looking!
-Kelly

42 comments:

  1. These both came out wonderfully Kelly! I have yet to try embossing a mask but your kraft card has me convinced it's a must. Marvelous work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the neon on kraft... and thanks for reminding me about Tuesday Trigger :P I'm so sad to be leaving, but glad to see you staying and creating more!!!!! I can't wait to see your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you channel the inner Donna in you...these two cards shouts "look at me, aren't I lovely?"!! Well, it worked!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab cards- the ombré on the charcoal really stands out. Got the song in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very cool cards, Kelly! Love the kraft and neon, and I've been where you were yesterday with bad blades and un-sticky mats! Your second card is awesome as well; it has inspired me to use a hoarded 6x6 of pink and charcoal paper - hopefully today! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where's the huge beating heart icon? Love these, Kelly! Not involved???? What??? It would totally take me a month (or two) just to line up all those words straight and centered on the card front!

    ReplyDelete
  7. suuuper cool!! i love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so smart. I never make two sets, but usually end up wishing I had as I'm running back downstairs to my computer/silhouette set up! Love both these cards - you're always right at the front of the trend wave, I usually am at the very tail end! lol!For instance, I don't even know this song. I know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you let us know it was not that easy to make with all the problems you encountered. Just s makes me smile .
    Love the cards.... I do like the gray background....a lot! Hope you enjoy the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it amazing how some of the most simple looking cards can be the most frustrating to create! I love that you showed us the original and the spare! I here a song on the radio and often wake up with it running through my head the next morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE these Kelly - clean & graphic perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous cards Kelly - absolutely bright, cheery, day-brightening and smile-making! And not only are your cards all that (and more), so too are the warm comments you left on my blog! A note from you has me thrilled (and encouraged) more than you can possibly know. THANK YOU! And yes, the song lyrics have begun their loop...Have a great Friday!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome! Love how graphic it is, really is word art!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, Ha! Now I'll bee singing this darn song all night thinking of you laboring over these cards. I think all your hard work paid off, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sing it girl! Both are perfection, just come to expect nothing else from you! The charcoal my fav, just snap, krackle and pops for the ombre challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome cards! You did such a great job with Donna's style, and your second card is just perfect for the ombre challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wahooooo. these are both amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous couple of cards to come back to after my long absence from blogland, Kelly ... love the kraft with neon ... and I never doubt how long something apparently 'simple' takes to put together ... this is just fab! The ombre pinks/lilacs against the dark background is simply stunning ... and as inspiring as ever! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These cards really do scream and shout. They say "Look at me. I'm fabulous!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. This text really Screams and Shouts! so colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are both wonderful and very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, Kelly girl! I feel like I haven't been by in ages! Sorry about that! Have you missed me? I've missed seeing you! Your cards just SCREAM creativity, ha ha! No, I mean, seriously they do, but I karacked myself up the way I mimicked the SCREAM to tell you. Has everyone else done the same cornball thing, or only me?! I wish you good luck with the ombre challenge. It's winning IMHO!! I'll bet it is cray cray busy and fun at your house with a new school year starting! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL! I thought I felt a vibe....You done good, Kelly! Love how those colors pop against kraft and the ombré on the second card is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great couple of cards Kelly. I like them both but the first is my favourite with that fabulous embossed background!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Two wonderful cards and a great take on both challenges! Hope you got that new blade because YOU definitely work wonders with all that you create with :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both super fun cards Kelly, and now I will be singing that song in my head all night!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Neon on kraft is awesome, but you already know how I feel about the second card with those gorgeous colours and cleaner look. I love that card so much it does make me wanna scream and shout!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Kelly! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on another win at Moxie Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Moxie Fab one! This is such a great take on the inspiration! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Woot woot! Congrats, Kelly! Now I have to look up that song....

    ReplyDelete
  32. HUGE Congrats on your TT Shout Out Kelly - a FABULOUS winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just Love both these cards - congrats on shout out at MFW.

    ReplyDelete
  34. such an awesome card! congrats on your MFW win!

    ReplyDelete
  35. such an awesome card! congrats on your MFW win!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats on your win Kelly...You deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations on your MFW win! You nailed the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations on your TT win, Kelly! These are both fabulous cards... you certainly can scream and shout and let it all out :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. So are you screaming and shouting... ya should be:-) Great job with the kraft - picking colors to pop off it. But I truly dig the purple ombre on the charcoal. And the striped strip really makes it (tee hee). Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I LOVE these two cards! TOTally AWESOME! And congrats on your TT win, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very cute cards!!!! Ad your warning about using song lyrics is very true indeed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly